Class Three: The Cheesery Continues...

Reblochon de Savoie AOC, La Sauvagine, Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar, Zacharie Cloutier, Bouq' Emissaire...



Enough with the cryptic cheesery I say...I apologize for the last two posts if anyone was reading...and wondering -
I am back at college once again! To explain, I have started the course to becoming a Professional Fromager. I am at George Brown College, once again, back at the old alma mater, the place where I learned to cook so many, many, years ago. The place has changed so much, yet much has remained the same, and I love being back there again, feeling the excitement and potential that I used to feel when I first decided I wanted to be a Chef...wait, and then again...a Sommelier...and then now, a Fromager...I seem to just love the school really...

The previous posts, and the start of this one are the cheeses we have been tasting and analyzing - I need to jot them down here just so I don't forget when the dog eats my homework. Purely for my own log...not blog...but still permanent.
They have all, for the most part, been amazing, and it's pretty cool to approach cheese tasting as I would wine tasting - analyzing textures, colours, aroma, and taste - a true sensory exploration of something so simple, but complex in it's variety, depth, preparation, development, and evolution of character.

*Ahem*...yes, right, enough with the cheesery again; got lost in the moment...
So, what has been going on besides le fromage??
Well, the skiis have come out. Ya...just now...and the snowshoes...yup. I have woken to a winter's barf of snow upon the forest. Ick...but, I will embrace it! Sadly, the trainer has also come out, and yes, I have begrudgingly used it - helloooo Coach Troy...you are looking pretty fly in those large, high waisted shorts - where have you been all summer?? So very good to see you again...

Tomorrow marks the beginning of training for this late winter's races, and I fear much time will be spent with Coaches Troy, Carmichael, Wallenfells, and the ilk...with a good dose of outdoor fun just to keep sane. I have mounted the studded tires and am ready to go...bring it.

I have had a really good little break from structured training lately - not that I ever really structure anything really, but it has been good to just cruise around, run around, and play with no particular thought in mind other than just playing - I have increased my run time, and love it - I have ridden a lot, and a little, and all over the place - and sometimes not at all. Things at work have been soooo busy that my body has been kinda trashed, so it has been good to be able to ignore movement sometimes and not feel like someone who ignores their bike. Thank god for the dog, or I might just become a part of my couch....I do look forward to getting back into a routine though, but I am going to be sure to listen to the little voice in my head that tells me sometimes to just relax - this is not rocket science, it's just life and fitness, and balance - so love it!!

I got the chance to really play recently, as my friend Sian held her annual Fall 50 - a yearly tradition to mark her birthday, and the birthday's of several friends in the month, and it entails covering 50Km, for 50 yrs. on the planet, using several modes of transportation, with tomfoolery thrown in as necessary.


This year,we started in Caledon East on MTBs, and took road, trail, and some rail-trail, into Inglewood, through trail to Belfountain for the singing of our National Anthem at the cable trail, and a stop at the Higher Ground in Belfountain for a warm up. (It was very cold out - beverages most welcome - thank you Goose!!)


Birthday Girl Coach LD and Goose at the Higher Ground



Putting the 16 tooth cog on for the Grange climb was a baaaaad choice ... ouch.


Heading down the Cable Trail...we lost our bikes somewhere??

Then, back on the bikes, we bombed Forks of the Credit road (my eyeballs froze open...) before turning south and back to Inglewood to ditch the bikes, and pick up the canoes. A quick portage to the bridge, we put in and paddled down the Credit River to Cheltenham General Store. By now it was perfect, calm sunshine, and the paddling was beauty - a real treat for me in late fall :) We pulled up at the store, stashed the canoes behind, had a quick visit, and then we set off on foot to run trail back to Inglewood. I think we stopped at least four, maybe five times, at different apple trees on the way, each one offering unique and delicious fruit - I have no idea the names of the apples, but a couple of them blew me away - so sweet, and real, and free!!! But, on the flip side, running and eating a plethora of apples make for a very sore tummy...note to self...burp.
Arriving in Inglewood (again), we got back on the bikes, and hit the trails back to Caledon East, and a great birthday celebration, complete with a hot tub, tonnes of good food and wine, songs, poems, and cheers! A really, really great day - I am lucky to have such fun friends, and I hope we keep doing this until we are 90! or so....;)


Gearing up for the paddle- thanks to Knobless for the use of his place as a TA...


Oh Captain, my Captain...


Goose out front scouting...


I need selfie lessons apparently...Bent leading me down river...


A much deserved soak at the end...Big finale!

I am sad to see fall disappear so quickly...but, I am looking forward to some winter, and to some winter escapes to south-lands, and to the planning of the new year ahead...what will I tackle first?? hmmmm...much much planning to do :)
And, just in case you were thinking that I have stopped cooking all together in favour of just eating cheese, well, let me assure you it is not so! The cool thing about not cooking for a living, is that I now can experiment and cook for myself with a renewed passion. Finally, I am getting to a point where I actually make dinner. Not just popcorn, but actual dinner. Crazy, I know....

Henceforth and therewith, a recipe...slainte!...
This one is great for today's winter deluge, and I think I'll put it on before I set out for a ski...ya, I said it, in November...a ski...

Spicy Slow Cooker Pumpkin and Wild Mushrooms with Brown Rice:

In a skillet - add some olive oil, and sautee diced onion, carrot and celery. Add some crushed garlic and dried thyme leaves. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Throw in some torn up shiitakes, and sliced cremini mushrooms; and 2 cups of long grain brown rice.
Cook a little, then add 28 oz. tomatoes, diced with juice, and 2 cups of veggie stock.
Throw it all in a slow cooker on low, and add 4 cups of peeled, cubed pumpkin (or butternut squash).
Cook on low for 7 hrs., or on high for 4.
Then, stir in a couple chipotle peppers...one if you are shy...and a pinch of generic chile powder. and a pinch of oregano and cumin. Cook 20 mins. more on high.

Serve in a big bowl with chopped cilantro, avocado, and shredded or crumbled cheese like monterey jack, or queso fresco...yum :)





Comments