Where the Buffalo roam...

Not just a groovy movie starring Bill Murray...


I made something the other day that I thought might be worth writing down for future reference. It comes with an explanation...

I am desperately anemic. I have been borderline for quite awhile, but have now dipped down into the not so great zone...It seems my body is not manufacturing blood cells productively enough - not red, not white, not absorbing iron, no neutrophils, basically, not holding oxygen very well at all, and who knows what kind of immune system I've got going on, but as my last post mentioned, I did get knocked out with something - and I never used to get sick...sigh...and woe is me... I always knew things were off, but just figured I was a busy, active female that burned through iron stores, and got tired sometimes due to overdoing it...ummmm, not totally the point I guess. The doctor is surprised that I manage to stay upright through the day. I have started to feel the effects during rides that last more than a couple hours - I am sore, and its not an "I'm just not fit enough" sore, it is a full blown exhausted, muscle aching, face rubbing, deep breathing kinda sore. I feel it on short, hard rides too - and even when walking the dog. I am concerned...



So, I have been working hard to at least get my digestion working well so that I can absorb whatever I may get into me. I am injecting Vit. B12, taking mega doses of both heme and non-heme iron, and trying so hard to eat really, really well. Most importantly in this healing process as well, is reducing stress. I try, I really do. In the big picture, I laugh at myself and think, what on earth do I have to stress about? Apparently there is stuff. Enough stuff to need my attention. And then there's sleep. I am really good about at least 6-7 hrs but more is harder, and a constant quest. I am not a napper... maybe I should learn...Long and short of it is, things aint so perfect right now, but I've caught it, and now will do all I can to reverse it.

I don't eat much meat really. Not sure if this is financial, or because I just can't bring myself to support the commercial meat industry, but I imagine it's a bit of both. I want to eat clean, quality meat, and not being a hunter, this means I have to purchase the good stuff...and it's pricey...so I limit my consumption. However, in light of my recent downfall in the functioning human being department, I am consuming a little more. I really bombed at being totally plant-based. And this is how I stumbled upon my latest dish, and I suppose the long-winded reason for this post.

I have been red meat shopping - and I found a really great buffalo steak the other day. So I brought it home and thought about what to do with it. I have been blending up a fairly new product at the Woolwich Dairy recently, and if you ever see it, please give it a try - it's the Smokehouse Peppercorn (smoked pepper) Chevrai - creamy, smokey, a little bitey, and really delicious. Basically just good fresh chevre mixed with a smoked pepper blend - yum. So I had some in the fridge and wanted to make it work with the buffalo. Mama needs her iron!! And this is what I came up with...

(For one) I took a few handfuls (maybe 200gm) of cremini mushrooms - if I had shiitakes it would have been more awesome - I rough chopped them and sauteed them in a cast iron skillet with a little butter and coconut oil until they browned. I tossed in some fresh rosemary also. Then set it aside. In a separate small pot I simmer a half cup of good balsamic vinegar until it reduced to a nice glaze - mere minutes. I added my mushrooms, and then off the heat, stirred in about 1 ounce of the Smokehouse Peppercorn Chevrai - it melted into heavenly goodness.


A quick sear of the buffalo steak - 2-3 mins. per side in a little coconut oil. Then let it hang out off the heat for 5 mins. as you prepare the above sauce, cuz it really only took 5 mins...Then, top the steak with the shrooms and you will surprise yourself with how delicious the combination is!! Steak, tangy, sweet balsamic made creamy, smokey, earthy, with the chevre and the shrooms and the rosemary - sooooooo effin' good. Knocked the vegetarian right outta me...almost. I fixed a side of sauteed kale with garlic, and a quick roast sweet potato half, and I ate like a queen. I may have even felt some blood pump back into my system ;)
God I hope so...

So there ya go - please try it - you may just love it like I did!

Comments

sarahc, RHN said…
I do realize the irony (ha!) of mixing a little calcium rich dairy into a dish that is intended to fill iron stores, but felt it was a small enough amount to still gain benefits - plus, I can't resist the goat! Maybe that's my problem after all?
Wow ! So amazing. Thanks for share.
thiet ke nha dep
Robert Wubben said…
Sarah how are you doing?
sarahc, RHN said…
hey Rob! Wow - it's been awhile - I am doing really well thanks! How/where are you?
Robert Wubben said…
I am good. Give me a call sometime 416 997 1924