Race Report 5 : Ontario Cup Sir Sam's and...cake!

So very, very glad I made the trek to Haliburton last weekend for the Ocup race at Sir Sam's Ski & Bike! This was my second attempt at racing with the boyz, and it was really, really good. I am still chasing them down; probably won't catch them, but trying hard!! Loaded up the truck and headed north for a preride on Saturday afternoon - I was thinking that being a ski hill, I may want to swap gears for something even lighter, but laziness, and what I thought were gradual climbs, had me leave the bike set-up as it was with 32x19 - light, but good for my midgy legs...The course was awesome - a real mountain bike course - it had us climbing switchback up up up for about 2Km to the top; amazing views of the lake, and then into some cool gnar singletrack - a good challenge for me to keep the momentum up enough to be smooth and clean on all the twisty roots and rocks, and then also saw us flying back downhill on some of the Downhill runs, before sending us back u up up, and then down again - leg burner!!!!! I left feeling excited for the next days challenge...

Race morning we headed back to Sir Sam's and for some reason, I was really nervous!! The day was gorgeous, but all I could think about were the hills, and would I be able to spin it up for the whole race?? Told myself to chill, hit the start, and off we went - I love the SS group of racers - a few laughs at the start belied the fact that they are all super speedy, competitive types who really throw it down when the time comes...and it did...as predicted, the gun went off, and they flew outta there, leaving me spinning away, just hoping to hang on. I tried to relax for the first big climb, but adrenaline wants to push my hand. I told it to settle, and tried to get up without cooking myself - hard to do off the start, but it went OK. What didn't go OK was the pain in my hands. I have NEVER had that deep pain and numbness happening so intensely  - I can usually put it out of my mind, but the first descent brought out nastiness like never before - I wanted to cut off my hands, and no amount of shaking them out was helping. Usually the pain ends after about 20 mins. of riding, but this day it stayed. I tell you, surgery can't come fast enough, but I have put it off until Nov. so I can get through MTB season first - can't take all my fun away...so, on we went...and I am glad I did...because...

I loved this race! Despite the hands, I managed to hang onto the bars, manipulate the brakes when needed, and kept my legs spinning up all the climbs - I was very happy in the end!! This is Mountain Biking! :))))) Such a great race course and a really good day on the bike = happiness.
I am now in taper mode for next weekend's Summer Solstice 24Hr. solo at Albion Hills - one of my favorite races of the year, and I am stoked. I took and easy cruise along beautiful Muskoka roads this AM, and tomorrow will ride the Solstice course for a few turns to see exactly what I am up against. Then it's into a full week of makin' da cheeze and getting race ready again.
I have been feverishly following my friends on the Tour Divide also - started yesterday, and so far, all are spinning happily along! Looks like good weather with minimal snow pack up there, so I am cheering them on and wishing them great adventures - so wish I was there this year, but, soon...soon...

On the cheese front - I have a great recipe I am working on, drawn from a couple of different old recipes, tweaked for my present interests/tastes...a little sweet ending made sweeter with your own grown rhubarb and Woolwich Dairy's goat cheese...

Goat Cheese Cake with Fresh Rhubarb Ginger Compote:

For the Crust - use 1.5 cups of crushed gingersnaps (I used gluten free - easy to find...)blended with 2 Tb coconut sugar, and 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil or butter - your choice...
Press into a large springform, and bake at 350F for 15 mins. Remove from oven and set aside.
Make the yum part...

8 oz chevre (I am biased..but Woolwich chevrai rocks...)
6 oz of Fresh Chevre - Woolwich Dairy's new low fat/low sodium whipped cheese)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
**Beat the above together with a mixer, and add
1/2 cup sugar - your choice here...maybe honey will work as well  or maple syrup - still testing...
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp or more vanilla - or scrape out a real bean :)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
**Mix all well and add...
3 large eggs - one at a time, mixing well after each one

Pour the mixture over the crust and set in on a cookie sheet into a 350F oven for 50 mins. the centre should be just setting when it is done...

Cool for at least 2 hrs., and pour over top a compote...of...

1 lb. rhubarb (bout 4 cups)
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1/2 vanilla bean
1 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp ginger grated
a shot of cointreau
and a cup or two of raspberries...

Heat all but the liquer and raspberries in a non reactive pot, simmering for 10 mins. Take off heat and stir in the booze and berries, and let cool before topping cake.

Comments