quick update of the bloggy thingy....







well, well, well...
I have pulled my head out of the oven just long enough to do a quick update for all the peeps about all the goings on in my neck of the woods -

"Real Food Cafe" and Real Food Inc. have finally launched! Had our first week of opening last week, and I don't think I got a chance to eat, breathe, or pee for the first few days - my head was spinning with the chaos of an opening - not really something I look forward to doing again - but, it is smoothing out, and finding a groove, so soon, all will be well, and I can breathe again. Until then, 14 hr. days are the norm, with 4AM wake up calls.

I have managed to train a little in between, but not nearly enough as I need with Maui fast approaching. The world's will have to be a 'wing it' kinda race for me, but it's better than missing it all together.

The Fall Epic 8 Hr. happened last weekend at Hardwood, and despite a good amount of exhaustion from the opening, I stayed upright. I was not feeling as punchy as normal, but I felt good and stayed ahead. Finished first, and held onto the overall for the series as well. The course was really fun this time - lots of variety, little climbing, and good speed - easy to keep happy on!


The other night, on my way out of the Palgrave woods, I came across a bunch of these...


and since I needed to make dinner anyway, one came home with me and I cooked it up. Sliced off the outside layer (hard to digest) and sliced the rest of the puffball into 1/2 inch slices. Sauteed it with garlic and olive oil, and it was deelish. They call puffballs 'the breakfast mushroom' cuz they go so well with eggs, so I cracked an egg on top, et voila, diner. Yum...

Another gratuitous pooch shot of Jess and Calie - just cuz their cute, and were staying with me for 10 days while Droo was in Ireland...


I had planned on the Kawartha Rube-eh for this past Saturday, but work got the better of me and I had to sit out. Next week I'll try the Hardwood Singletrack Challenge, and see how that goes - fall is fo sho the best time to ride!!!

And now, a recipe...

Gluten Free Spicy Power Bars

½ cup
macadamia nuts
½ cup dates
½ cup
tart dried cherries
1 tablespoon
vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon
celtic sea salt

  1. Place nuts, dates and cherries in a food processor, pulse until well ground
  2. Pulse in vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and salt
  3. Remove mixture from food processor and press into an 8 by 8-inch baking dish
  4. Refrigerate overnight (6-8 hours)
  5. Cut into squares and serve.
Thanks Elena!

Comments