GNR Bikepacking Loop



With two of my 24 Hr. Races cancelled for this year, and craving a loooong ride, I decided to venture out for an overnighter on my own last week...I chose to tackle the GNR Bikepacking route heading out of St. Jacobs Ont., and looping 370 km along the Grand and Nith Rivers, through several fun and rugged trail systems, and along plenty of bucolic farmland gravel roads. As always, when I am out there, I have lots of time to think, ponder, and learn stuff - this time was no different...a few thoughts and musings :


*solo adventures are amazing! 


*also amazing would be sharing the ride with friends ( so much to see, feel and discuss...)


*the GNR is a great route, set out by Matt Kady of @bt700bikepacking fame, and if you know Matt’s route choices, you know he means business. While lauded as a ‘good beginning bikepack route’ the GNR dishes up its fair share of tricky intricate and challenging riding! ( ie: keep your eyes alert and watch your navigation in the many sneaky trails along the rivers - esp. if you are out after dark! Oh... and beware the nettles 😳)


*as per the above nettle comment, I am serious... in this neck of the woods they grow thick and hearty and if you leave the trail for any reason, you will meet them...just speculating of course 😳😳


*I wan’t sure if I was going to camp out, or do this all in one shot, so I packed all my camping gear. The pandemic had also made me wary of wanting to stop in towns ( more to keep them safe from me 😆) so I carried all of my food, and a lot of fluid - heavier setup, but I felt prepared. Water refill was never a problem as there are many streams and watering holes to purify from... yes, I drank from the Puslinch pond...deelish...😂 and in the end, the moon was too beautiful so I chose to just ride through the night...  24 solo style...


*It was really really really hot the day I set out, so refills happened more often, but again, be prepared and you will never lack hydration on this route...


*tether your devices!! I lost my Iphone at one point - never have I been so suddenly panicked - I dont know peoples numbers - I missed my Ride With GPS ladys voice - how would I Google?? - OMG the world stopped for a brief moment...then I settled down and turned on my real brain and realized I could solve this problem - I’d be Ok without it - once I got over the shock and woe, I turned around, and backtracked along the trail praying I could find it. About 1km back, as I was about to give up, I saw it shining on the trailside of a gnarley rooty down hill - hallelujah!!! I am saved...So I stress once again; Tether your devices. 


*you can roll through this route relatively quickly, but why, really, when there is so much to see - the route is dotted with waterfalls, lookouts, breweries and cideries, farm markets, small towns, and of course, buttertarts! If I had been with friends, and had it not been a Covid situation, I would have taken in a lot more of this good stuff...but then again, I think I always feel this way after the fact but never learn, and continue to try to do things on my own...*sigh*....🙄


*along the lines of trying to make things more challenging, I chose to do this on my singlespeed... as is my M.O.... and I think I chose a good gear, but not a fast gear, for this one. I was tired, maybe lazy, and decided that 32/18 would be a pleasant push along the route, and I was right. It was good in the trail, though I found myself wanting more speed along the gravel roads...but then again, the scenery!!


*this route is a must-do for Southern Ontarians, and seriously everyone in the vicinity- its a gem - and, if you choose, it is the last 361 km of the BT XL which we will be tackling later this summer! Gotta say, I feel better for scouting this bit out first....it’s good to know what’s ahead when you are feeling sleepy and energy deprived 😂


*people from “away” always ask about wildlife in n routes like this... I saw 2 Barred owls, one skunk, and countless deer.. and squirrels, and mosquitos, and A LOT of caterpillars dropping from on high...but that’s as scary as it got...🙃 Unless you count the guy at 3:00 am who pulled his car to a screeching halt with window rolled down, yelling “Wheres the Foodland??” To which I had no answer so he peeled away as though he was on fire... sheesh, some people 🤷🏻‍♀️


So, I will close by saying “what a trip!!”

This was a perfect break at this time in our crazy world - a crazy break from things in my life that are so unsettled and unknown - I may just have to go back out again tomorrow - seems the only real thing I can make sense of right now 😊

Thanks to Matt for plotting a great course and allowing me this escape 🙏

Comments