Let's not be judgy, and let's not talk about it; just read...


I find writing cathartic...the fact that I don't do it very often may be a sign that things are going well, or maybe it is just that life get's so busy, that the words just can't come out. Well, today, I acknowledge the latter...
Though I need the catharsis...
For reasons I won't get into today, I am returning to writing for awhile, just because, it makes me feel good. Seems I have had a lot of time on my hands in the past days , to think about heavy stuff, and to be stuck on the sidelines with a nasty bug, forcing me to reflect just a little too much on the goods, and the bads, and the mistakes, and the successes of the past year...sigh...when will I get over it...
But that's not the point of this blog - I felt the urge to tell a little story.

About 20 yrs. ago...yes, ermahgohd, 20 yrs...ago, I had the good fortune of befriending a man who opened my eyes to the idea of "Adventure". (spoiler alert - this is neither romantic, nor xxx adventure - not that kinda blog...) I was working in the kitchen of a local pub, and would go down to the bar for a pint most nights, after my shift ended, to unwind and talk to friends. He was a patron of the bar, a regular really, and he would stand and chat with anyone who would indulge him, telling stories of excursions to wild places, and talking politics, or weather, or anything...I would stand next to him often and listen to his stories. I learned that he had recently returned from a through-hike of the PCT; something I knew nothing of back then; my adventure story had not yet begun, really, not from a wilderness perspective anyway...
I would listen intently as he told me about the post office drops of supplies, the wilderness encounters, the lonliness...and then laugh at the stories of the people he met along the trail, trail-angels that helped him when in need, the beauty of solitude, and the genuine connection one gains from being so self reliant in the wild, counting only on yourself to make through the next leg of your journey. When he described how a trail like the PCT could change you, and how much it made him appreciate all the small blessings in his life, that was when I decided that I wanted to have that Adventure as my own. I wanted someday to hike the PCT also. He tried to show me maps, or guidebooks, but had burned most of them along the way as fuel to keep warm at night. I think it may be time that I order up a set of those maps for myself. I am not saying I have a leaving date planned, I'm just saying, that ever since those fascinating conversations, I have desired the great big outside experiences. I have had the lucky chance to experience a couple great Adventures, but there are so many more, and the PCT is one that has burned brightly since those nights at the pub 20 yrs. ago...I think it's soon approaching...I have since lost touch with my friend at the pub, but I hope that maybe someday he'll read this and get in touch, so we can meet for a pint and discuss both of our past Adventures. I have lots to tell, and still have so many questions...

So I read 'Wild' for about the forth time...as I was sick on the couch, while getting cabin fever, which is just about the best impetus I needed to get my feet moving, so yesterday, I decided to start tackling Nicola Ross' new book, "Caledon Hikes : Loops and Lattes" - Skye and I...well, she was a willing accomplice...picked Route 28 - The Oak Ridges Moraine Loop. It was a 10 km loop through some very familiar territory, but on trails I had never been on. In all my years living in the area, and riding my bike in and around these trails, I have always felt so lucky. I always believed that by riding a mountain bike, we have the ability to really get into the landscape, and explore areas that most people won't ever see if they are stuck on the couch, in a gym, or behind the wheel of a vehicle.I have seen some pretty special stuff out there. Hiking an area takes this ability one step further even. There are places I can't go on my bike, and trails I can't be on. Being passionate about both modalities is the way to go. I got to see parts of my area I never knew were in there! This hike passed through old, old pine growths, along wetlands, along rail trail, a little gravel, some awesome hardwood forest, and across beautiful farmlands - highly recommended, and a really fun mini-adventure in my own back yard. Next up I think I'll head Inglewood way...looking forward to more exploring.

Some pictures from our hike...







And then we woke up this morning and things looked a little different! After a good snowy run, I mounted some Sworks 2.3 Purgatories to my bike, and had a good little spin in the icy white stuff. Guess winter really is here! ( PS - the tires are pretty awesome on the present combo of snow, ice, and mud - total sticktoitness... Happy happy happy :)
Skye seems happy too ;)




Now, to purchase those maps, start plotting, and plan my escape! Although I had also planned on a possible TD again this year, and a Trans America next year, and...oh shit...I need more time!!!!!


Comments

Nicola said…
Sarah, So this explains why I saw you walking in the Forks of the Credit Park -- you were after new territory. I can't tell you how many people say to me, "I know all the trails in Caledon." While I think to myself, bet you don't, I keep quiet and hope they will find something new in Caledon Hikes. Finding new trails and putting together loops is great fun. It was great for me to discover all the hiking around Palgrave as I was not that familiar with the trails. The Oak Ridges Moraine Loop was entirely new territory. I love exploring so keep your eye out for Halton Hikes, coming out this autumn! N