blocked...

I will admit whole-heartedly that I have been completely blocked since August - not knowing what to write, or having too much to write about that a blog post seemed inadequate so I saved it for my own insight on paper..(ya, remember paper? It happens sometimes...call me old fashioned...)
But the urge to write here has been pressing, so I think I should blurt a little late summer/fall post about the goings on in my neck o the woods.
Where to begin...hmmm...well, with so much time past I will briefly try to piece together what has happened since August -

Let's begin with the Eager Beaver 100...excellent...I wasn't sure how I felt about a 100 mi. race at this time in the summer - work had been exhausting, and my hands and arms were at the all time height of immobility - but I could not deny my desire to test myself regardless, and have a go at my first singlespeed 100 mi. It was a good choice, unlike the sweet potato vodka I drank last Saturday, and I am glad I did it. (unlike the sweet potato vodka I had on Saturday) (did I already say that???) (never again...)
I don't know why I thought it might be a big deal to go ss, but the course was excellent, and swoopy, and blissful, and I never wanted for more or less, really, than I had - except maybe on occasion, when I wanted more or less, but all in all, I had a good gear, my legs felt strong, and I had a great race. Kudos to Substance Projects for a really awesome day in the woods, once again!! This is race everyone should get in on - great trail, great support, and a really, really good challenge - sign up!!!!

After the Eager Beaver, I kinda just focused on recovering a body that had been pushed too far too many times this year - I needed to try to get back to some place of normalcy, and I am still trying. I have put off surgery for the time being; determined to avoid it at all possible costs, but the costs may be too steep. I figure if I can just stay healthy, train smart, and recover as needed, I can find the balance that will keep that option at bay. The verdict is still out, but I am hopeful. I am training lots - and have even rekindled my love of running. I hit the trails with Skye almost daily, and am riding lots as well - but good, long rides, that bring me peace and satisfaction, and feel almost effortless even when I know I am pushing hard. This is the kind of off season I like, now, if I could just remind myself that the serious stuff has to start again soon!

In between all the goings on, I managed to get a little time up at the cottage - so great - and I was sad, as I am every year, to finally put the cabin to bed on Thanksgiving weekend. We had an excellent time up there with family and friends, once again eating and drinking too much, and telling waaaay too many lies; maybe even singing too many bad songs, and generally summing up the summer in true Jennings/Caylor fashion. Cheers to absent friends; you missed a good one!

I also managed to squeeze in a little road trip down to Ellicottvville a few weeks ago, and totally loved every minute of that epic trail system - think I'll head back down before the snow flies...any takers?? :)

Life at the Woolwich Dairy continues to be busy, growing everyday, and keeping me on my toes - I have never had such a physical job! Kinda like 8 hrs. of weight training steady...everyday...ouch, no wonder my arms are pooched!! This coming Saturday I will be heading back to school at GBC - I have entered the Professional Fromager program, and look forward to learning all I can about cheese - as cheezy as that sounds...


Sooo...now that I have had a good chunk of time off from focused training, it's time to set sights on the winter, time to start planning for the year ahead, and time to get down to business! Next year is shaping up to be a good one... :) If the writers block decides to dissipate soon, I may even fill you in! ;)






Ride on!


Comments