2012...in repose...

I don't quite know why I have waited so long to post something...so much has happened in the last few months, but Holy jeebus; what happened to 2012? One crazy, crazy, bizarre and wonderfully horrible year.I decided, during a snowy morning run with Skye, that it was time to do a little reflecting, and a summary; write down my memories so they could be forever in cyberspace for future reference, as my memory is continually drifting away.

A few things I remember....



February riding in the AZ desert - 24 Hrs.in the Old Pueblo


March Hibernation and recovery...


April and Easter at the Coffee House...


May sunshine at the cottage with the Fam...


June out to Banff for the Tour Divide


Many miles along lonely trails...just how I like it :)


July...more recovery at the cottage...awesomeness....


Reality check...


Giant Spiders at Hardwood Hills during the Singletrack Challenge in Oct...


Fall with Skye at the cottage...


and finally, a December shot of a hot dog sleeping on fresh snow...love the tail ;)

There was so much going on in between all of these (poor) photos ( I have made a mental note to get a better camera and use it...) There were many races, and many miles on the bike. I had a major disappointment in the Tour Divide and I know it will eat away at me until I get out there and finish the thing, but unfortunately, (or fortunately?) I have a new job as a Cheesemaker at the Woolwich Dairy (goat cheese), and I am not so sure I can take the time off this year :(
Those who are close to me know that I have also been battling a wicked neurological problem with my arms and hands, and have lost feeling in 7 fingers and my palms - I have spent much time off the bike trying to figure out whats up. I think I'm onto it, but further testing remains; in the meantime, I have opted to try a gluten free, anti-inflammatory approach to my diet - it has been 1.5 months, and the results are awesome - continual improvement - I can ride some; not without pain, but at least I'm on the bike...slowly. On the plus side, my running is doing really well, and I am putting thought into some ultras for this upcoming season.
I haven't put together a plan for the summer yet - O Cups, Solos, Stage Races...oh my?? I do know, I am heading west to do the TR4 in July - my little buddy Rocky is now living in Red Deer, and I think a stage race makes a great backdrop to a wee visit!! I am also gonna do a little trip down to FLA in a couple weeks for the 12 Hours of Santos in Ocala - hope I am up for it! Slow, but steady as it goes...
So, in short, it looks like it's gonna be one more great crazy mess of a season!! I am so looking forward to it, whatever it brings. 
In closing, and in honor of this amazing cold snap (-16 right now...sheesh...) i am posting a cool recipe that I have poached from the Clean Eatz blog - I am heading into the kitchen to make this now, as I am freezing, and feeling sorry for myself - need a pick me up - health be damned...for the moment anyway...;)

Paleo Chocolate Peppermint Almond Butter Fudge

Ingredients
1/3 cup Coconut Oil
2/3 cup Almond Butter
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup sifted Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 3 hours cooling
Directions
In a bowl add Almond Butter, Coconut Oil and Honey. Stir together until creamy
Add sifted Cocoa Powder and stir in until mixed well
Add peppermint extract and stir in
Spread fudge mixture into pan or Silicone Mold
Place pan/mold into freezer and freeze for 3 hours
Cut into squares and enjoy

This needs to stay frozen or refrigerated, if kept frozen the squares will stay separated, if refrigerated it would be best to separate with parchment paper




Comments