2011

Here it is; and my first post of the New Year.

Just a little late, but what the hey - as today is my Bday, I thought I should get to it and try for some sort of a recap, or contemplation, or re-hash, or re-something...

"Don't just count your years,
Make your years count" (E. Meyers)

Sounds good to me.

Well, New years Eve was a blast, but not at all as I had planned... originally, I was hoping to be up north, sliding down slopes and playing in the village. Due to overpopulation, plans were kiboshed , and general consensus was that we should gather at the Barn, around a roaring fire, feasting and setting off lights into the midnight sky. So we changed plans, rallied the troops, and did just that. Though I missed the northern pursuits, I was happy to be home, and a great night was had by all. Thanks to Ries for the light show!



The past year has been one of way too many highlights for me to spit up here - and it would bore readers to tears to hear me go on about all the things that are important to me, and that I am thankful for, and that I smile about every day, so I will not be laying them down here. I will reserve that for my own moment of quiet contemplation later as I sit atop a ski hill, whilst playing hooky on this, the most hallowed day of the year ;)

But truly...my life rocks - I am so fortunate and will never forget it.

Ok...shake it off...so, things in the forecast - this is the month of one of my favorite Holidays of the year besides New Years and my birthday - it's Robbie Burns Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the 25th.


So pull out yer whistle, don yer kilt, grab yer musket, and fetch ye a wild haggis - it's time to celebrate. Or if you'd rather...'Johnny Cock Your Beaver'....
I will again be building a feast of haggis, taties and neeps, scotch eggs, trifle, and of course...scotch. A favorite recipe of my father's that I thought i would pull out this year is for Atholl Brose - a sweet drink that can be serve as dessert - or put in a flask for a late night ski...

Atholl Brose:***

One bottle of Scotch whisky
10 fluid ounces (Half Pint) of double cream
450g of clear Scottish honey
The whites of six large eggs
One handful of fine ground oatmeal

Directions To Make Atholl Brose

1. Soak the oatmeal with the Scotch whisky and set aside.

2. Beat the egg whites until they become stiff.

3. Fold the cream into the egg white mixture.

4. Add the honey.

5. Blend in the whisky and oatmeal mixture at a slow but steady pace.

6. Pour the liquid into some bottles and set aside for one week. Shake each bottle of Atholl Brose each day.

***(Definitely only for very special occasions; this one packs a punch.)

Also coming up soon, a new event destined to become a classic! I cannot wait for...wait for it...
Joyride 150 Ladies Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Really looking forward to this one! it will be the anniversary of my broken ribs from an over exuberant entry into the pump track last year - note to self - more air in the tires, and less speed on entry...;) Maybe I should rent a wee bike for this one?? Thoughts???
Either way, it's sure to be a blast, so tell all your lady friends!!
Now...to hit the slopes ;)

(**Trail report: Palgrave ST is in awesome condition after the rain and freezing, so I have been enjoying daily rides OUTSIDE for a change - yahooeeee - just in time as the CTS spins start this week, so I am sure to be getting my fill of hamster on a wheel; nice to break it up. )


Comments