These pretzels are making me thirsty...


Wow - it is H.O.T. out!! The past couple days have been pretty extreme - but perfect training weather for Maui! I registered today after much hemming and hawing - figure it's a chance I can't pass up. Yahooo!
Tonight's ride consisted of some good hill work as the sweat pored into my eyes, but what was more troublesome was the amount of deerflies on trail - bizarre, but they took their pound of flesh for sure. i am all swollen up like the elephant woman now - last night it was extreme mosquito action; today, deerflies. Whazzup with all that in July?? Sigh....

OK - now for the food report:
Bfast: feeling less than creative, so I had the egg and sauteed veggies deal again
Lunch: Big salad with all kinds of veggies - EFA/Flax oil and lemon
Dinner: Curried chicken ( 2 thighs, coconut milk, tomato etc...) cucumber, ezekiel bread and a little raw cheddar
Snacks: Vega Whole Food Bar; raw carrot and hummus, handful of raspberries on trail, 1 oz. dark choc., cranberry and soda
Downfalls : the vega bar, raspberries, cheddar and chocolate were kinda off. I allow myself 2 'limit' foods per day, so maybe I'll let the berries and vega bar slip, but the cheddar and chocolate were not so good - at least I limited the amount. Bonus = it's out of the house now! ;)

So I guess after a few days I am feeling better - sleeping really well even with the heat in my no-a/c zone...hoping to drop some pounds soon too. I could definitely get used to the minimalist approach - it is made especially easier with my garden blooming away. Once again, I have too many zucchini, lots of radishes, tomatoes on the way etc...awesome!
Bon appetit!

P.S. This from the NY Post - interesting - I always thought it was the negative ions that helped so much, but there is more to it! Why am I so stressed? I practically live in a tree..hmmmmm...
Forest Bathing:
...scientists...chalk it up to phytoncides, the airborne chemicals that plants emit to protect them from rot and insects and which also seem to benefit humans. One study...[was] in Japan, where visiting nature parks for therapeutic effect has become a popular practice called “Shinrin-yoku,” or “forest bathing.” ...The scientists found that being among plants produced “lower concentrations of cortisol, lower pulse rate, and lower blood pressure,” [In addition visiting] forests seems to raise levels of white blood cells, [and] over two days [saw] a 50-percent spike in levels of [these] natural killer cells...



Comments